Things He Says



Things He Says- Bedtime edition

I know you all probably expect "Things He Says" to be funny, because they usually are, but today's might melt your heart.


It did mine at least.


 At bedtime Harper turns into a different kid. I usually wait until bedtime to have big conversations with him, because he is always up for a deep talk before he goes to sleep. That's when he has the most to say about his day, and life in general.  He'll say "Wanna talk about stuff?" That's music to a mother's ears. Especially a mother of a kiddo who usually answers "I don't remember" when you ask him about his day, ha!


He also gets REALLY sweet and pours his heart out, like he did tonight.


H: "Mama, will you sing to me?"


Me: "Yes of course!"


Then I sing "Beautiful Boy" By John Lennon



Close your eyes
Have no fear
The monster's gone
He's on the run and your mama's here
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Before you go to sleep
Say a little prayer
Every day in every way
It's getting better and better
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Out on the ocean sailing away
I can hardly wait to see you come of age
But I guess, we'll both just have to be patient
'Cause it's a long way to go, a hard row I know
Yes, it's a long way to go but in the meantime
Before you cross the street
Take my hand
Life is what happens to you
While you're busy making other plans
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy
Beautiful, beautiful, beautiful
Beautiful boy

In the middle of the chorus Harper says

H: "You're beautiful. You're more beautifuller than me."
M: "Aww thank you, buddy, but there's NO WAY. You're a million times more beautiful than I am"

I move on to "You are my Sunshine"

He sings with me, eyes half closed.

H: "I love you way more than you love me. I love you so much"
Me: (tears rolling down cheek) "That makes me SO happy that you love me so much. I don't think you could even imagine how much I love you. I love you SO SO SO much. More than anything. I love you more than anyone could even count. I can't even describe how much I love you because it is SO MUCH"

Then we sing a little part (I think my family made this up? I don't know if it's a real song, haha! My mom used to sing it to me)

I love you Harper
Oh yes I do
I love you Harper
Indeed it's true
I love you Harper
I do
Oh Harper I love you

And would you believe the sweetest boy in the land starts singing too, but says Gina when I say Harper?

So I put his hand on my cheek to feel the tears, and tell him they're happy tears because I love him so much, and, with his warm open palm against my face he says

" I feel all that love, mama. I feel it. "

Then he puts both hands on my cheeks and kisses me, and tells me that he hopes I have happy thoughts and good, fun dreams (Something that I often wish HIM before bed.)

I don't know how in the world we got so lucky, but my heart almost exploded tonight with love and gratitude.

Thank you, God, for giving me the most beautiful, perfect family. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment